You might be wondering sometimes, the drives are getting filled during or after the backup. Sometimes it will not get cleared automatically. The backup team might say the backup is completed but when you check the drive space, still the drives are not freed up. If you check the total free space and the files utilized size inside the drive, the value will not get match. In this situation, it is best to check and clear the Shadow copies in the drives. The simple way to do it is following the below method
- Make sure the backup is completed in the Exchange server
- Check the size of the files and make sure the value is not matching with the free space
- Open cmd or PS and type diskshadow.exe
- In the DISKSHADOW, type LIST SHADOWS ALL
- It will list all shadow copies in the server.
- In order to delete it type, DELETE SHADOWS ALL
Voila!! It will start clearing the shadow copies. If you refresh the drive you can see the free space is increasing 🙂
Please comment if you have any other easy method to do the same.
Happy learning 🙂