In the previous article I have written how we upgraded the SQL servers from 2008 to 2012 for the Office 365 migration project. Today we are going to see how we upgraded our EV DAS a.k.a Enterprise Vault Discover Accelerator server. This server is mainly used by legal department to create a case and search any archived files such as email, files, SharePoint, IM.
I would recommend you to go through this whitepaper to understand how the search is performed in DAS – https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO77131
Server name: CHN-PRO-DAS
OS: Windows 2008 R2
Current DAS version: 10.0.2.112
Will upgrade it to: 11.0.1
- We have an EV11 license and serial number
- Browsed https://symantec.flexnetoperations.com/control/symc/registeranonymouslicensetoken and enter serial number
- Downloaded Symantec Enterprise Vault 11.0.1
- To download the latest hotfix there is an interesting term that you can use it for searching the hotfix. It’s called “Latest Breaking News for EV 11.0.1” and downloaded CHF 4
- Extracted both .iso and zip files and copied to the other drive in DAS server as well as EV server for EV migration also (I will cover this EV migration in upcoming articles)
- Uninstalled the DAS client from the DAS server
- Also uninstalled DAS client 10.0.2
- Stopped the Enterprise Vault Accelerator Manager Service
- Ensured no errors in the event log
- Navigated to the drive where we copied the installation files
- Navigated to Symantec Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator folder inside the extracted folder. Then drilled down to Server folder. Double clicked setup.exe file to launch the installer file
- After clicking next it will show the per-requisites information
- It will verify anyway in the next step
In the next step, it will ask you to enter the domain, username and password. So we have entered our org domain of the service account that we used to install the DAS 10.0.2 and its username and password
In the next page clicked install button to initiate the installation
It will automatically clear the backup files and will start the DAS service
After the installation completion, clicked finish button.
Then we browsed the url – http://localhost/EVBAAdmin
We need to click update to start
Then we need to restart the Accelerator Manager Service and then clicked “OK”
We found that the service were not started and throwing an error message. Checked the event id and found that the temp folder in the drive is not passing the security requirement
So we have created a registry key with the DWORD value of 1 with the name “SkipTempFolderCheck” in the path – HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KVS. After that it started fine. Clicked OK in the page which brought a Virtual directory page with its respective information
We need to right click the Virtual Directory and click on properties. Then under the database locations for analytics section click on update to update the version to 11.0.1
After that navigated to the downloaded folder again – Symantec Enterprise Vault Discover Accelerator\Client\MSI\ and opened the tool -Symantec Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator.msi
Installed it using run as administrator permission. The installation is self-explanatory and pretty straight forward. After that navigated to API Runtime folder in the installer folder and ran Symantec Enterprise Vault API Runtime executable file. It updated the run time and this installation is also self-explanatory. So not including the screenshots. We need to restart the server after the up gradation. Checked in the programs and features and ensured it is showing the upgraded version.
I will cover how we installed hot-fix CHF4 for Discovery accelerator server and how we validate it in part 2. Until then stay tuned !!